Skip to main content

The Bunch lmpatiently Await Fall!


Well, we are still waiting for the mercury to come down to a normal level for September. Even worse, I spent the weekend with a horrible stomach bug. I didn't realize how bad it was until we were on our way to church. I had to tell my husband to turn around and go home because this wasn't happening. I spent the entire rest of my weekend (Sunday and Monday) in my super comfy chair in my room either napping, watching tv (that I really didn't pay attention to), or contemplating how horrible I felt (mostly what I did).  I do all the mowing at our house (every week) and my husband does all the weed eating (at least 3 times a season). However, I had not been able to mow for almost 2 weeks so we literally had weeds as tall as the bird bath. My husband was wonderful and mowed the yard for me. Now, it took him forever since he doesn't normally do it and I kept "reminding" him about certain sprinkler heads to watch out for, but he spent a few hours out in the heat mowing and now the yard looks great. I haven't ran the sprinkler system yet to check the heads since we had a huge rain shower, but I think everything looks good. Best of all, I didn't have to worry about doing it while fighting a horrible stomach bug.  Thanks Honey!
After our big Chicago trip in May, we took the camper in to have some warranty work done. This week we were finally able to take it back to the service center to finish up the work from that service issue. Basically, a cabinet was cracked and the clip that keeps the door closed while bouncing down the road during LOLA's directions was unable to stay attached allowing the door to possibly come open during travel. Anyone with a camper  knows how bad this could be. You don't want your stuff bouncing out during travel possibly causing more damage. We hooked up and took the camper early in the morning to have it fixed. It turns out that 4 months was not an adequate amount of time for them. They did not order the main part we needed and the other part was the wrong size. The rv service center is ALWAYS so frustrating. I see why most people just pay for the part and do their own warranty work. However, we are patient and will now go back in 4 more months to hopefully get the correct part installed. The worse part was having to just randomly drive a 31ft trailer around town during rush hour.
Waiting for his sister's game to start

Since every post needs a farm up date about the animals, I have news. We had a barefoot specialist come look at the horse's feet and yes the last farrier did a complete hack job. He tried to fix what he could, but said it would be about 12 weeks before it will grow back out to what it was. He said some places were well beyond just being cut short. He recommended giving her pain medicine for about 6 weeks and putting boots on all 4 feet. Both which seemed to help immensely. She now walking around, albeit pretty slowly, but she is using all four legs now where as before she wouldn't bear weight on one leg at all. Ever see a 1200# horse try to move around on only 3 legs? I promise it looks scary and upsetting, especially when you know someone you paid (actually was seriously overcharged) did this to her. She has also developed an eye infection, which is not uncommon, but is just one more thing in the ever growing list of things that is wrong with her. We basically are out in the pasture 5 times a day now, changing her boots, cleaning and disinfecting her eye, and checking on her. The donkey is not too sure what to make of all this attention, but she is right up in our face wanting her fair share of whatever the horse gets (unless that happens to be fly spray then she is gone). The chickens are in molting season which means not only are they not laying eggs, but they are losing all their feathers. So basically it looks like we ran over them or an animal mangled them leaving hundreds of feathers behind. They will look beautiful and be so soft once the new feathers grow in, but until then they just look like they have mange.
Looking pretty shabby, the other side of her neck is bare. Pretty gross.

She is just starting to molt so she still looks fairly normal.

They were camera shy.

Gwen hides behind her buddy a lot.

She does enjoy having her picture taken though. Look how much weight she has lost. She almost looks normal. She has lost about 60#.

Iris reminding me that she likes attention.
Her eye looks better, but still swollen and has discharge. Probably be another 10 days to clear up. She has lost about 100#. We have a cloth tape that you use to measure horses and it tells you their approximate weight.

The adventure bug is starting to bite again so hopefully soon we will have some fun trips to share with you guys. We have a short trip planned for October and a longer one planned for November.
 We can't wait for the cooler temps!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bunch's Streak Of Bad Luck Continues

We made great time on the way there! It's amazing how leaving only 30 minutes later can help immensely with traffic. I wish all the shows started at 8 instead of 7:30.  What a week this was! We went to Bass Hall to see Back to the Future. It was ok. Definitely not the best play we have seen. The boys went with us and since the last two shows they joined us for were The Outsiders, which is one of, if not our most, favorite show ever, and A Christmas Story, which is in probably in the top 6, they were really not impressed. However, we still had a nice time doing something different together.  We love Bass Hall❤️ We had opening night tickets and got a GREAT deal! I went in this week and had my polyps removed plus they did a biopsy. I was more sore and for longer than I anticipated. Yes, the doctor said recovery was about 10 days, but I really only anticipated maybe 3-4. Boy, was I wrong! It's been 7 days now and by 10 I think I will be completely back to normal. Unfortunately, sh...

The Bunch Say Goodbye

  Aunt P picked a lovely cemetery. It was so beautiful and peaceful. For the past 8 years or so we have helped our Aunt P.  We have had numerous visits and conversations over the years, not to mention dinners and root beer floats. We have watched her physical health decline while her mental health was still sharp as tack. Sadly, the last month of her life she had started to have several moments where she didn't know what was going on. We had numerous conversations about her death with her and we are very happy in knowing that she finally has the relief she wanted. The past year in particular was VERY hard on her and she needed help more. D and I would visit almost every Wednesday and Saturday, plus whenever she called for help. It was nice to talk to her. She was witty, smart, knew the answer to just about anything, and did a wonderful job of making you feel special and loved. I once told her that I would really miss our chats when she was gone...I will. I really enjoyed getti...

The Bunch Have A Fun Week!

D had his awards banquet at a BBQ place we had been wanting to try for awhile. The food was really delicious and not greasy at all.  We have had a lot of expenses thrown at us lately. We bought our new appliances , which were well planned for. However, after that we had 2 cars to get repaired, one of which   was decided that it was too expensive and would make more sense to get a newer, stronger, younger one, I have to get some polyps removed, we owe uncle Sam money for the first time ever (thanks to the rule about the year a child turns 17 you lose the child tax credit even if the majority of the year they are 16), and lots of other little things. You know how it goes...when it rains it pours. Since we were unable to take the rv out because of the tow vehicle being unable to tow with a heavy load, more like us not wanting to risk trying, and since A had a day off work, we decided to go on an adventure to do something that none of us ever had done before. We started with...