Skip to main content

The Bunch Do Nationals in Springfield, MO

 

We won third place!

Despite all that went on in the weeks leading up to going to Nationals, we went and everything went seemingly well. Or at least it could have been worse. We left at 7am on Sunday morning. It was about a 405 mile journey, which is weird since Branson is about the same, but is 50 miles south of Springfield. I guess taking different routes CAN make a big difference. Driving with the travel trailer considerably slows down our pace. While most highways are now 70 or 75 (compared to the standard highway speed of 55 from years gone by), we have to drive around 60. This makes it take about 10 hours to get to Springfield. It was insanely windy when we left too so that made travel even more interesting since D kept getting pushed around with the gusts. The evening we arrived the weather was pleasant. It was windy, but still around 70. However, the cold front came through that night and it was FREAKING COLD the rest of our trip. The KOA we stayed at was really nice and very quiet considering how many people were there. They were pretty much completely booked, mostly with basketball players. 

We had a game where EVERY player scored points. That NEVER happens.

There was a prayer before every game. It was the National Christian Homeschool Basketball Association after all.

On the way there, it was all happy. On the way back T slept and I was too tired to take pictures 😂

I know people think that homeschool basketball nationals is probably pretty small and not a big deal, but let me give you some perspective. The NCHBA rented out EVERY available court in Springfield and a few just outside of the city (because the city didn't have enough). There was a total of about 50 courts going non-stop from 8am-10pm Sunday through Friday. There was 1100 TEAMS here. Not players, but TEAMS. Each team had between 7-12 players and 2 coaches, plus parents and siblings. Basically, there was a lot of FREAKING people, everywhere. Oh, it was also Spring Break so even more people were out and about. Next year, we will leave a day earlier because I was unaware that the 3 pt tryouts were on Sunday ( I thought everything started on Monday) and T wanted to tryout. He is pretty good with 3pt shots so he might stand a good chance of winning. Overall, his team did super well. The only game they lost horribly was a game that T fouled out on. T has never fouled out before in SIX years of basketball and he only played a grand total of about 3 minutes. That in its itself should tell you about the ref. He called crazy fouls, and basically without T they lost by like 20 points. I got so mad that game I had to go wait in the lobby. Otherwise, they might have made me leave the facility. Surprisingly, most of the teams in our division were from Texas. And yes, who did we have to play to decide who went on to the championship game? Yep, nightmare team. We had all the varsity and JV team players plus their parents come to cheer us on. We were LOUD and the boys loved it. Unfortunately, we were tied for the last 3 minutes of the game and with only 45 seconds left nightmare team made a three pointer and we just had no time to come back. It was a tough loss as it was, but to lose to a team that has such a horrible attitude made it much worse. Happily, they went on to lose the championship game by more than 20 points. Overall, it was a fun, but busy time. A did well taking care of the animals. Everyone was alive and the house was still standing when we got back so I consider that a win.

We managed to sneak in a few fun outings while we were there and anything NOT related to basketball was most welcomed ( it will be my next post). I may never stop hearing balls dribbling, shoes squeaking, and whistles blowing. Unfortunately, all the sitting and crazy schedules made D regress in the progress he had been making. It's not as bad as it was originally, but pretty close. He hasn't even been able to go into work to do light duty this week and the pain is starting to intensify again. I am happy his next doctor appointment is on Friday. I am also dealing with my fibromyalgia flaring up. I expected it to since it doesn't like any changes to my normal routine and activity level, but it still sucks and my hips are bothering me enough that it makes walking painful, which made taking Lyla shopping for her birthday super fun. I just have to ride it out and pray it doesn't take too long. My guess is it will probably last about a week. Next year, I am going make sure I get my daily work out in while we are there. The consistent movement makes a HUGE difference. 

More to come on all the fun outings we had.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bunch Say Goodbye

  Aunt P picked a lovely cemetery. It was so beautiful and peaceful. For the past 8 years or so we have helped our Aunt P.  We have had numerous visits and conversations over the years, not to mention dinners and root beer floats. We have watched her physical health decline while her mental health was still sharp as tack. Sadly, the last month of her life she had started to have several moments where she didn't know what was going on. We had numerous conversations about her death with her and we are very happy in knowing that she finally has the relief she wanted. The past year in particular was VERY hard on her and she needed help more. D and I would visit almost every Wednesday and Saturday, plus whenever she called for help. It was nice to talk to her. She was witty, smart, knew the answer to just about anything, and did a wonderful job of making you feel special and loved. I once told her that I would really miss our chats when she was gone...I will. I really enjoyed getti...

The Bunch's Streak Of Bad Luck Continues

We made great time on the way there! It's amazing how leaving only 30 minutes later can help immensely with traffic. I wish all the shows started at 8 instead of 7:30.  What a week this was! We went to Bass Hall to see Back to the Future. It was ok. Definitely not the best play we have seen. The boys went with us and since the last two shows they joined us for were The Outsiders, which is one of, if not our most, favorite show ever, and A Christmas Story, which is in probably in the top 6, they were really not impressed. However, we still had a nice time doing something different together.  We love Bass Hall❤️ We had opening night tickets and got a GREAT deal! I went in this week and had my polyps removed plus they did a biopsy. I was more sore and for longer than I anticipated. Yes, the doctor said recovery was about 10 days, but I really only anticipated maybe 3-4. Boy, was I wrong! It's been 7 days now and by 10 I think I will be completely back to normal. Unfortunately, sh...

The Bunch Have A Fun Week!

D had his awards banquet at a BBQ place we had been wanting to try for awhile. The food was really delicious and not greasy at all.  We have had a lot of expenses thrown at us lately. We bought our new appliances , which were well planned for. However, after that we had 2 cars to get repaired, one of which   was decided that it was too expensive and would make more sense to get a newer, stronger, younger one, I have to get some polyps removed, we owe uncle Sam money for the first time ever (thanks to the rule about the year a child turns 17 you lose the child tax credit even if the majority of the year they are 16), and lots of other little things. You know how it goes...when it rains it pours. Since we were unable to take the rv out because of the tow vehicle being unable to tow with a heavy load, more like us not wanting to risk trying, and since A had a day off work, we decided to go on an adventure to do something that none of us ever had done before. We started with...