Skip to main content

The Bunch Head To Ray Roberts and T Has A Little Scare

This is the original bridge to the area from 1899.

Unfortunately, our planned trip to Bonham State Park did not pan out. This park only has 13 rv sites and even on a Monday and Tuesday night they were completely booked. My daughter in law's father who works there says it is not uncommon for people to rent the whole place out. Therefore, we weren't able to head up that way to visit C and H. Instead, we went to Lake Ray Roberts and enjoyed a hike that we had never done before. It was about 5 miles and took us a couple of hours to complete, but that also included stopping along the way to check out possible places for L to have her senior photos taken. We found several cute spots, but unfortunately by the time her cap and gown comes in there will probably not be any leaves on the trees. I think we may just take some pics without her cap and gown and then take the rest later when her gown gets here. L has also been busy researching what she wants to go to college/trade school to do. She has a few options we are looking into for next year. It's hard to believe that next year L is off at college then T will be my only student left and he will only have 3 years until he graduates! 

L showing off her flexibility.

I thought this would make a pretty background for senior photos.

This was a lot higher up than it looked.

This time we didn't get lost!

I am not sure if we were ever mentioned it to anyone, but T was born with pectus excavatum. It's not that we tried to hide it or anything. It's just he had a very mild case as a young child and we just "kept an eye on it". Basically, T was born with a sunken chest. His sternum curves towards his heart which, fortunately, his is fairly mild. However, now that he is bigger, has more muscles, and is becoming a high intensity athlete, he may start noticing some issues/limitations. Things can change with this as adolescents hit there growth spurts and T had an incident this week at basketball practice that really scared him. His coach had them playing full court ball for almost two hours and then ended with them running lines and it was just too much for T. For only the second time in his life so far, I had to get him out of there. I saw he was starting to struggle and have trouble breathing and I went on to the court and pulled him out. He had been shaking it off and trying to finish, but when I saw him trying not to cry I got him out of there. He described it as something squeezing his heart and he started getting dizzy and couldn't breathe. He has to learn to stop when he recognizes the signs. This is probably the first time he really remembers it happening and it really scared him. It made D and I realize that since he hasn't really had any issues we haven't really been watching it as close as we should. T's last stress test was over 6 years ago before we moved and we realized we should have him do another one now that he is older, just to make sure everything is still ok. T scared the coach to death at practice, but he is fine to workout. It is just when he works at such a high intensity for too long, his heart can't enlarge to pump more blood because his sternum literally prevents that from happening. 98% of the time it isn't an issue. He can play hard and work hard, but he can't over do it and push too hard. At this practice in particular, all the boys looked ill. I think the coach just pushed them all a little too hard. However, we are still getting a check up at the pediatric cardiologist just to make sure it isn't starting to become an issue. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bunch Say Goodbye

  Aunt P picked a lovely cemetery. It was so beautiful and peaceful. For the past 8 years or so we have helped our Aunt P.  We have had numerous visits and conversations over the years, not to mention dinners and root beer floats. We have watched her physical health decline while her mental health was still sharp as tack. Sadly, the last month of her life she had started to have several moments where she didn't know what was going on. We had numerous conversations about her death with her and we are very happy in knowing that she finally has the relief she wanted. The past year in particular was VERY hard on her and she needed help more. D and I would visit almost every Wednesday and Saturday, plus whenever she called for help. It was nice to talk to her. She was witty, smart, knew the answer to just about anything, and did a wonderful job of making you feel special and loved. I once told her that I would really miss our chats when she was gone...I will. I really enjoyed getti...

The Bunch's Streak Of Bad Luck Continues

We made great time on the way there! It's amazing how leaving only 30 minutes later can help immensely with traffic. I wish all the shows started at 8 instead of 7:30.  What a week this was! We went to Bass Hall to see Back to the Future. It was ok. Definitely not the best play we have seen. The boys went with us and since the last two shows they joined us for were The Outsiders, which is one of, if not our most, favorite show ever, and A Christmas Story, which is in probably in the top 6, they were really not impressed. However, we still had a nice time doing something different together.  We love Bass Hall❤️ We had opening night tickets and got a GREAT deal! I went in this week and had my polyps removed plus they did a biopsy. I was more sore and for longer than I anticipated. Yes, the doctor said recovery was about 10 days, but I really only anticipated maybe 3-4. Boy, was I wrong! It's been 7 days now and by 10 I think I will be completely back to normal. Unfortunately, sh...

The Bunch Have A Fun Week!

D had his awards banquet at a BBQ place we had been wanting to try for awhile. The food was really delicious and not greasy at all.  We have had a lot of expenses thrown at us lately. We bought our new appliances , which were well planned for. However, after that we had 2 cars to get repaired, one of which   was decided that it was too expensive and would make more sense to get a newer, stronger, younger one, I have to get some polyps removed, we owe uncle Sam money for the first time ever (thanks to the rule about the year a child turns 17 you lose the child tax credit even if the majority of the year they are 16), and lots of other little things. You know how it goes...when it rains it pours. Since we were unable to take the rv out because of the tow vehicle being unable to tow with a heavy load, more like us not wanting to risk trying, and since A had a day off work, we decided to go on an adventure to do something that none of us ever had done before. We started with...